Here we are with just the facts, ma’ma. (If you need a refresher on “how things work” in the adoption process, you can read a short post here.) We first appeared before the Ethiopian courts on February 3 for the adoption of our trio. Due to paperwork issues, it took two more attempts to finally clear on February 21. At that point, our social worker, “T”, in Ethiopia had the privilege of sharing the wonderful news of a forever home with our trio. Our trio’s response could NOT have been any more an answer to our prayers. Not an ounce of fear. Not an ounce of concern about whom we are. Just JOY.
|Upon news of their adoption (photo compliment of a friend)|
Usually, when a file is submitted to Embassy, you receive an email in the wee hours of the morning. For these past two weeks, I’m woken every night hoping for something. Thursday came and went. No email. The following morning, our US caseworker called to tell us the news: unfortunately, our file was taken with copies of paperwork vital to our file when it required originals. They would return the following day with the original.
Yesterday, new news. This form couldn’t be located. Only the copies. The paperwork needed to be re-originated and mailed to Ethiopia for our file. Heart sank. Sadness for our trio. Sadness for us. Many tears by our Princess and the H-man. I drown my tears in papers needed and they hit FedEx yesterday afternoon.
In the meantime, we’ve come to understand more and more the hearts of our children abroad. They are racked with excitement and joy AND fear. They know loss. Lots of it. The news we have adopted them but not come to them creates fear of yet another loss. Remember it’s been a month plus now since they heard they finally have a family, and from my memory, a month is eternity in kid time. Enter our decision.
Josh (and I) believes for the sake of love, for the sake of the children’s hearts, for the sake of bonding and showing them promises kept, I need to go on over and take placement of our children. For the sake of money, we booked the tickets departing April 30 and returning June 4. It was the most reasonable fare. Officials do NOT recommend traveling without Embassy clearance. It IS, however, recommended by my husband. It couldn’t get much clearer than that for me.
So, for the sake of love and money, I will be leaving with Princess, Tiger, and Mez in less than two weeks. Our agency is sure our file will be successfully submitted on the 26th of April. We will keep you posted on our progress. For now, pray. Pray for travel (one mom three kids). Pray for health. Pray for sleep (I am prone to thinking all night long). Pray for our children to understand why all of their family isn’t coming right now. Pray for our transition and bonding and the perpetual Groundhog Day once in Ethiopia. Pray for wisdom while I parent many without my one partner. Pray for Josh, my partner is this, and his heart while we are apart. Pray against anything that could separate us or cause friction. Pray each moment of my time I am an example of the love of God.